ok

Saxophonist John Doheny was born in Seattle Washington in 1953 but has spent much of his adult life in Canada, primarily in Vancouver and Toronto. After early experiences accompanying strippers in bars and cabarets he became a professional R&B sideman in the late 1970s, touring and recording with artists both prominent and obscure. In 1991 he returned to Vancouver and began a program of intense musical study, both in academe (Vancouver Community College, the University of British Columbia) and in the more informal area of performance. He asserts that "all human intercourse is either an opportunity to learn or to teach. Everything that I know about jazz performance (to the extent that I know anything at all) I owe to those players, teachers and students who have suffered to share the bandstand and the teaching studio with me." Since 2003, Mr. Doheny has been a permanent resident of New Orleans, Louisiana, but makes every effort to spend summers in Canada because "it's too damn hot down here then."

Monday, December 03, 2007

New CD

Finally, after much delay, the new CD is out. As anyone who's ever recorded a jazz album can attest, putting it in the can is the easy part. Releasing 'em is hard.





This one was recorded in a single day (february 26th, 2007) at Piety Street Studios here in New Orleans, down in the upper 9th ward. It's a beautiful studio, housed in what was once a post office, then the offices of the Louisiana Association of Retarded Citizens. Honest. Studio owner/head-engineer Mark Bingham says they still get mail addressed to that entity.





Mark, by the way, is quite possibly the best engineer I've ever worked with. He got his start in the late 60's, as an assistant engineer at Columbia's old studios on East 34th Street, which were housed in an old church. Miles recorded 'Kind of Blue' in that room. Mark is conversant with all the latest Pro-Tools techie gadgetry, but also brings with him that deep, old-school understanding of acoustics and mic placement that is a rapidly dying art. When we were mixing the record, I had a list of about four glitches that I figured he'd fix digitally on the computer. Three of them he repaired simply by manipulating EQ in some totally incomprehensible (to me anyway) bit of ju-ju that made it sound exactly like we'd nailed it in the studio. The fourth clam (bassist Jim Markway's hand slipped during a bass solo, giving him an E natural when he'd been going for an Eb) he grudgingly booted up the Pro-Tools. "This is cheating," he said. "But I guess your chances of getting everybody back in here for a re-take in the next two hours are pretty slim, huh?"




So, for better or for worse, here it is. Live off the floor (except for one Eb).






Track previews are available on Myspace:

http://myspace.com/johndohenyandtheprofessorsofpleasure







Additional promotional bumph available on my web-site:





http://www.johndoheny.com/JDstore.htm





Online ordering at the Louisiana Music Factory, 210 Decatur St. New Orleans LA





http://www.louisianamusicfactory.com/showoneprod.asp?ProductID=5713

Comments on "New CD"

 

Blogger pissed off patricia said ... (2:39 PM) : 

I left a comment for you at Crooks and Liars, but I was afraid you might not see it. I am so sorry that I upset you with my questions. I explained in the comment why I wanted to ask the questions was simply because that's the only way I know to find answers.

I know no one knows what it's like to be there and deal with the daily life of the city like its citizens do.

Just so you know, I did read the post and believe it or not, tomorrow I am going for new glasses.

Again, I am sincerely sorry that I made you angry and upset. I sure never intended to do something like that.

 

Blogger pissed off patricia said ... (2:41 PM) : 

I went to your myspace site and listened to some of your new CD.

Just outstanding. I loved it but I'm a sucker for a sax.

 

Blogger John Doheny said ... (12:37 PM) : 

Thanks Patricia.

I posted that reply without really reading through your comment, so the misunderstanding is on me. Don't concern yourself. Like a lot of New Orleanians these days I'm a little thin-skinned lately.

What disturbs and angers me is the number of people who feel free to make negative and dismissive comments about my city when they know nothing about it. The ignorance is appalling, and yet they don't hesitate to just write us off, even though the catastrophic destruction of the city was not our fault.

That fault lies with the Army Corps of Engineers and their faulty levees. Even the corps has admitted culpability (sort of) and thus any bloviation of Republican talking points about 'personal responsibility' is especially galling, since the feds refuse to take any responsibility themselves. Hey, you broke it, you fix it.

Seems simple enough to me.

 

post a comment